GP Receptionist (Patient Care Coordinator)
Required for busy town Practice in Hertford
CONTACT FROM JOB AGENCIES OR NEWSPAPERS WISHING TO ADVERTISE THIS POSITION ARE NOT WELCOME. APPLICATIONS FROM CANDIDATES WITH NO SUITABLE EXPERIENCE WILL NOT BE SHORTLISTED. TO APPLY ALL APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE OUR APPLICATION FORM
C.V’S ARE NOT ACCEPTED
- A minimum of 25 hours (working 5 hours daily Mondays to Fridays)
- Starting Salary: £8.50 per hour
- A mixture of morning and afternoon shifts are required. Morning shifts are from 07:45am and Afternoon shifts are up to 18:30 hours
Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
Provide general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
Undertake a variety of administrative duties to assist in the smooth running of the practice, including the provision of clerical support to clinical staff and other members of the practice team.
Facilitate effective communication between patients, members of the primary health care team, secondary care and other associated healthcare agencies.
- Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the practice
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments.
- Using your own judgment and communication skills, ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
- Explain practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover, and ensure procedures are completed.
- Receive and make telephone calls as required. Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery.
- Initiating contact with and responding to requests from patients, other team members and associated healthcare agencies and providers
- Enter requests for home visits onto the system, ensuring to carefully record all relevant details and referring to duty doctor where necessary.
- Process AIHV requests in accordance with practice protocol
- Process and distribute incoming and outgoing mail via on-line system, website, email and SystmOne as appropriate
- Accepting requests for repeat prescriptions as appropriate – checking on-line systems, fax machine and prescription box.
- Computer data entry/data location collation and scanning; processing and recording information in accordance with practice procedures
- Periodically check the fax machine for received correspondence and to make sure it is operational and has an adequate paper supply
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same.
- Enter patient information on to the computer as required.
- Helping new reception staff and training of new reception staff
- Patient notes and correspondence:
- Retrieve and re-file records as required, ensuring strict alphabetical order is adhered to
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc. are filed promptly and in the correct records, ensuring that all recent correspondence is available when patients are seen.
- Ensure records are kept in good repair, with all necessary information on the outside cover clearly visible.
- Open up premises at the start of the day when first to arrive, de-activate alarm and make all necessary preparations to receive patients.
- When last to leave at the end of the day, ensure that the building is totally secured, internal lights are off and the alarm activated.
- Ensure that all new patient paperwork is correct and accurate
- Undertake any other additional duties appropriate to the post as requested by the partners or the practice manager.
- Make and serve refreshments, ensure the kitchen is kept clean and tidy and air and tidy the waiting room in turn with other staff.
- Keeping the reception area, notice-boards and leaflet dispensers tidy and free from obstructions and clutter.
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & safety
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice health & safety policy, the practice health & safety manual, and the practice infection control policy and published procedures. This will include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Actively reporting of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
- Keeping own work areas and general / patient areas generally clean, assisting in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness consistent with the scope of the job holder’s role
- Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
- Reporting potential risks identified
- Demonstrate due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Equality and diversity
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner that is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload and resources
The post-holder should recognise the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognise people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the implementation of services
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: £8.50 /hour